settled in and travelling around!

So I’m just entering into week three of classes. I only have four classes, one for each subject, but the classes are three hours long, and two of them go from 7-10pm! I struggle to stay awake in class that late at night, but oh well. The classes are really interesting, and I am amazed at some of the differences between Australian and Canadian laws etc. Having the border between Canada and America definitely gives me another perspective on border control as well. Apparently 90% of the Canadian population is located within 100miles of the Canadian/American border.

There is an amazing uni life here, with events on several times a week every week. There is a big emphasis on alcohol not being involved in the uni atmosphere. We have a bar on campus, but it’s only open until 7pm, and we’re only allowed to drink in our units – not in any of the common areas. There is a pub right next to us though and it’s open til after my 10pm classes – hahaha. It’s just very different from living in MTG where we had pre-drinks parties going on at least once per week in the common rooms.

Back to the academics side of things, my lecturers have amazing backgrounds wich are very relevant to the subjects they teach, and one of them even co-wrote the text book we use (as well as the FBI etc!). They have amazing practical and theoretical knowledge of what they teach. I thought about applying for a job here, but to be honest I don’t think I’m anywhere near as qualified coming out of uni as the graduates here would be. They stay in the course an extra year or two, with three semesters per year and do subjects like Problem Management Skills and Criminal Justice Interventions, which is part one of a practical subject about problem management as a police officer! I’m stoked with the execution of the subjects I chose!

Now on to the fun stuff! A group of 8 of us international exchange students hired two cars and went to Whistler for the weekend. My group of four went on the Monkido Aerial Adventure course and the ATVs (quad-bikes) and then we all did the Zip-lines yesterday. It was an amazing way to see the area in the summer! Here’s a photo 😀 and just to think – it’s only the third week in!

xx ro

About roincanada
I'm in my third year of uni, heading over to Abbotsford, Canada for exchange. This will be my first adventure to another western country and I'm so excited! Hopefully my blog will help convince you to go on an exchange of your own. xx ro