The Saskatchewan Roughriders

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are the most famous sports team in Saskatchewan. The ‘Riders’ play in the Canadian Football League (CFL). The Riders have an incredible fan base, anywhere you travel in Canada you can find Riders gear, anything and everything you can think of can be found with the Riders logo on it.

Rider Pride

Attending Rider games is a completely amazing experience. The atmosphere is electric. From the moment the team runs on the field the crowd is just nuts! Fireworks, the teams mascot – Gainer the Gopher, the fourth quarter stretch and the cheerleaders all add to this experience. Rider fans also tend to sport watermelon head-wear, just another tradition.

Gainer the Gopher

As the Riders field is in an open air stadium, braving the elements to attend a game is also one of the fans biggest challenges. Saskatchewan has a huge range of temperatures, from 30+ degrees in summer to -40 in winter. I attended a game a couple of weeks ago where the weather was hovering around the -7 mark, with flurries of snow every now and then. Needless to say I was RUGGED UP. I was referred to as the ‘Pillsbury Doughboy’ a mascot for a baking company, made out of dough, looks something like the Michelin Man. Being outside for three hours in anything below zero requires some serious dedication, and layering of clothes. I had something like 7 layers of shirts on that day!

All Rugged up for the game

I attended a charity auction and Darian Durant (Roughriders Quarterback, guy that throws the ball) and Weston Dressler (Roughriders Slot Back, guy that catches the ball/makes touchdowns) happened to be in attendance. These two guys may possibly be the most famous people in Saskatchewan. I was lucky enough to get pictures with both of them. So I may have felt like a bit of a big deal. They were very friendly and have a big game this weekend so people were very excited to see them around.

Darian Durant

Weston Dressler

The last month of Uni has been crazy, with mid-terms and assignments. It’s starting to slow now, which is kinda nice! I’m also heading to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in a couple of weeks that I’m super excited about!

Bye for now, from chilly Canada
Sarah

About sarahvda
I'm a second year Environmental Science student studying at CSU Albury Wodonga. I'm on exchange in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

One Response to The Saskatchewan Roughriders

1. Thanks for finally talking about >The Saskatchewan Roughriders | CSU Global Blog | Charles Sturt University <Loved it!