Final Week in Regina

I should firstly start by apologizing for not having written in this blog all semester. Everything has been so crazy and I was attempting to fully enjoy my experience here in Canada. I hope that I can make up for it with a bunch of photos and a more detailed blog post.

It is now my final week in Regina and I am beginning to be a little sad to be leaving my friends so soon. I have enjoyed being in Canada so much and have done many different things and seen many things that I would not have had the chance to see and do at home. During reading week (which is the mid semester break) I decided to take a trip to Calgary for a couple of days and then meet Josh (my boyfriend who I met at the university of Regina) in Edmonton.  In Calgary I was able to take a trip to the zoo and look at all the many different animals although I was quite disappointed and bitter that I was unable to see a bear as they were currently hibernating at the time. I did however get to see both the penguins and the river otters at feeding time which was a great sight to see. I also went to the Ingelwood bird sanctuary which was just on the outskirts of town. Here I got to see a partially melting river as well as one of the most peaceful snowy areas that I have ever seen. There were many different birds and there was pretty much no one in sight. Finally I spent the day travelling around Calgary and looked at places like Calgary tower and the park that was located in the middle of town complete with its own outside ice skating rink which to me was definitely an unusual sight in the middle of a park. I then took a bus from Calgary  to Edmonton where the first thing that Josh and I did, after we both rested from travelling, was go the West Edmonton mall which is the largest mall in Canada I believe. The mall was the biggest thing that I had ever seen, it was complete with its own roller coaster (which I had to try and was absolutely amazing), mini golf courses, water park and ice skating rink. Although my favorite thing in the mall by far was the sea lion show at 2pm where they had an area for sea lions in the middle of the mall which was both absurd and equally amazing. I swear if I lived in Edmonton I would be there everyday to see those sea lions. We also went to a comedy improv performance and a star wars exhibition that had been travelling through Edmonton at the time. It was definitely the best mid semester break that I have ever had and I had so much fun.

I also took a second break over Easter for a couple of days in which my friend Nicole (another international student who had come from England) traveled the very long journey by bus to Banff. As Banff is well known for its skiing Nicole had convinced me to ski, I was reluctant at first as I had never skied before but eventually decided that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and that I should not waste it. So after exploring the town for the first day we headed down to the ski hills in sunshine for the afternoon. We were both rather inexperienced with skiing but both attempted it anyway. I was terrified at first as I did not know how to stop but I eventually got a bit more used to it and only fell down twice during the time that we were there. I would definitely go again. Although I did learn something when we went skiing and that is that you can get sun burnt when it is still freezing cold outside so if you are planning to go skiing remember to put on sunscreen.  On our last day in Banff we decided to go to lake Louise which is meant to be some of the most clear blue water that you can ever see. However it was frozen over when we got there but the view was still breathtaking and it was a great experience to walk over the frozen lake.

Those are just the many experiences that I had outside of university. I also had many wonderful experiences within university and the Luther College Residence that I will never forget.  I was invited to participate in a photo scavenger hunt which was great for showing me around the university as well as getting to know people better. This scavenger hunt was also loads of fun and lead to me doing such things as standing outside in my swimsuit in -13 degree weather, having a pillow fight in the cafeteria and proposing to a stranger.  I also did things like watch movies with friends and go out for ice-cream. I even won an award at the Luthies (the Luther college award ceremony) for being the most Canadian on my quad. This was an honorary award due to the fact that during a game of cranium I was able to spell Zamboni backwards before I was aware of what a Zamboni was. There were also many fun dinners and lunches with people in my residence :). There was a formal cabaret which was lots of fun and it was nice to see everyone dress up and get out and forget about the stresses of uni life for a night, there were other occasional nights out to different places including the Owl (the university bar) and the Hookah Lounge. The university is such a hive of activity and there is always something going on if you just look.

Finally I just want to say that this is definitely one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life and is sure to be one of the best that I will ever have. Going to university in a different country is well worth the time and money. I have loved being in Canada and travelling so much that I have actually altered my plans and deferred university so that I can stay until the end of the year. I really hope that you think about applying to go overseas with CSU global the people are fantastic and you will so glad that you went!

Just shows you how much snow there is on the streets of Regina in winter

Icicles :)

Icicles 🙂

My first time writing my name in the snow

view of downtown Regina covered in snow

view of downtown Regina covered in snow

My little birdy friend from the sanctuary

A nice view of the river in the sanctuary

One of my first sightings of a yellow school bus. I just wish I got the chance to ride in one

The penguins that I got to see fed :)

The penguins that I got to see fed 🙂

View of the lovely Banff from the main street

A view of Calgary tower from the street

A view of Calgary tower from the street

View of a completely frozen Lake Louise taken from lake itself

Me learning how to stop

Me learning how to stop

One of the two times that I fell

One of the two times that I fell

One Response to Final Week in Regina

1. jessmae1993 says:

Thanks for the feedback it is nice to see that someone has been reading my posts 🙂