And so here I am…

It’s been a long time coming, but I have finally arrived at Humboldt State University in Arcata (northern) California.

it’s almost serial being here and seeing the size of this campus. I have been studying by correspondence for the past 18 months while living and working on campus at an outdoor educational focused boarding campus for year 9 girls. In many ways the campuses are similar; both focused on sustainability, both surrounded by state parks and the natural environment, and both beautiful in their own right. But Humboldt State University has over 7000 students, as apposed to the 80-100 students at Howqua.

It’s beautiful, the campus, the grounds, and the surrounding Redwood Community Forrest. I spent almost 2hours just walking around the campus trying to take everything in. It’s one thing to see the campus almost empty and have the freedom to walk leisurely through the grounds, but I’m sure it’s going to be another story when tomorrow comes and people start flooding the grounds; I can’t wait!

This is a deffinate change in living and lifestyle compared to how I have spent my past month since resigning from my job and jet setting over here.

I chose to get to HSU by bike. I began my ride in Vancouver BC, and travelled over 1300km to get here, with a few stops along the way. These included a few days to prepare in Vancouver; 2 days to look around Victoria; a week volunteering at a music festival outside Portland and looking around the city; and now a few days in Arcata before the next chapter begins… Uni life.

Riding the Pacific Coast

Riding the Pacific Coast

If you are interested in reading a little about my bike adventures this is the link : http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/BUMonabike