Settled in & studying…

image image image image image imageI have experienced O Week, and 2 weeks worth of classes, I cannot believe how fast the time is flying!

The campus here at HSU is huge, and even in my 3 weeks of exploring, there is still so much more to discover, both on and off campus.

these past 3 weeks have been pretty jam packed, I am making the most of being a full time, on campus student; and what University experience would be complete without joining a sports team?? None!
So myself and a few of the other exchange students, along with some American transfer students decided to join the Ultimate Frizbee teams here at HSU (men’s and woman’s). The weekly commitment is around 7 hours of training a week, plus tournament time when they start, but both the men’s and woman’s teams know how to have a good time when the training is finished. It’s been a great way to meet some great people and have a whole heap of fun, both on and off the field!
Already the woman’s team (the Hags) have planned a camping trip away to get to know each other and have some fun, this includes coming up with nick names for all the new players.

Classes here at HSU have been great so far, class sizes are small, which means I’ll get to know the teachers; and already I have been assigned some group work tasks, which means I’ll have the opportunity to get to know my class mates a bit better too.
I am really enjoying my busy schedule; balancing academics, with ultimate training, plus making the most of my weekends socialising and site seeing.

One thing that has made life a little easier, and has saved me a bit of time, has been my meal plan. There are a range of different places to eat food at around the campus, which means variety and convenience! One of the cheapest places to eat is ‘The J’, it is the furthest place from where I am living, but worth the continuous stair and hill climbing to get a good feed. My favourite part about it is the salad bar, there are so many options, I love it! Another great place to eat at is ‘The Depot’, it’s more like a food court, but at 3-6 Monday to Friday the bar opens and students (who are over 21) can enjoy a beer and a game of pool after a full day of studying.

I am loving getting around campus on foot, and by bike, but as weekends are short and fly by so fast, it’s nice meeting people who own cars.
This past weekend a group of us went to one of the beautiful beaches north of Arcata in a town called Trinidad. College Cove was a great day to spend a hot summers day. The water was freezing, but it’s not a real beach trip unless you get your whole body wet!

Last night was the first HSU Lumberjacks football game for the season. This was a completely new experience for me, as American football is very different to AFL back home. It was fun getting painted and getting into the celebrations in the crowd. The atmosphere was more exciting than the game, I found it hard to stay focused on, as there is more standing around then actual play time. But all the same, it was a great experience to be a part of.

It has been 3 amazing weeks here at HSU, I am so excited for the next three months, and what they have in store for me.