Thanksgiving break

It was the perfect time for a week long break (9 days of you include the weekends either side of the University week!)

The first 5 days of my break was spent with a friend, riding our bikes south 160 miles from a town called Garberville to a city north of San Francisco called Santa Rosa.  We could not have asked for better weather, especially considering the time of year!  We had perfect blue sky and sunny days, and although the nights were sometimes below freezing we had warm beds to sleep in every night.

The section of road began in the Redwood forest, winding round and up and down; once out of the hills and away from the majestic towering trees we moved into beautiful wine country with vibrant colors extending as far as the eye could see.  It was magical!

wine country California

wine country California

Wine country California

Wine country California

IMG_1862 IMG_1863 IMG_1864 IMG_1913 IMG_1914 IMG_1915 IMG_1920

Fruit picking became a daily activity, especially the further south we rode.  We found Persimmons, berries, oranges, grapefruit and walnuts in our travels, this made for great healthy eating along the way!

The bike trip flew by and soon Mari and I found ourselves saying goodbye and departing for our separate Thanksgiving locations.

Bike friendly public transport made my trip to Chico easy, and after two short layovers, I was in the colorful and vibrant city of Chico, where I met up with another friend to experience the very American tradition that is Thanksgiving.

I was very privileged to be part of such a magnificent feast, and although I am a vegetarian and missed out on the turkey, I still felt the need to un-button my pants at the conclusion of the feast.

Chico is a busy University town, but with most of the other students gone for the break meant the town was quiet and peaceful for the next few days.  I spent time riding around exploring the beautiful Bidwell Park, lazing in the sun and relaxing.

A great break before the Fall semester winds up over the next three weeks.