Statue of Liberty!

statuee

Saturday August 16th

My brother and I ventured off to New York City once again to climb the Statue of Liberty! We got the 8:30 am train into Penn Station. We did some shopping in Times Square! .My brother bought some baseball hats as he loves baseball! I bought this photo frame of all the musicals that were showing in Times Square it was only 20 dollars! We then found this cute Irish pub called The Playwright. I ordered my favorite dish classic fish and chips and my brother had shepherds pie. We both had a really great cappuccino! finally a place that knew how to make decent coffee!  The pub also had our favorite sports on TV! The English premier league, American baseball and football. The only sports it was missing was Australian rugby league and cricket!  After we ate lunch we caught the subway to South Ferry to get on the cruise for Statue of Liberty.

fish and chips

Our ferry time was suppose to leave at 1 pm but because its summer and very very busy we didn’t get on the ferry across to Liberty Island until about 1:30 pm.  The Statue Of Liberty is located on Liberty Island which is a small uninhabited island in the New York City. It is home of the Statue Of Liberty Monument. After about a 20 minute ferry ride across we get to Liberty Island! I thought the waiting around in lines was over I was wrong! Once you get onto the Island there’s even more waiting and if you want to climb up to the top of the statue even more waiting! Unfortunately because it was summer my brother and I couldn’t get tickets to the top of the statue but we were able to get tickets to the pedestal. There’s 215 steps to the pedestal. Although we didn’t get to climb to the top of the statue going up to the pedestal was certainly worth  it. Going up to the Pedestal allows you to have an amazing view of New York City and if you are brave enough you can look up and see how far you have to go to the top of the statue! On this particular day the weather was really nice and we had a very clear view of the beautiful city.

A few facts about the Statue Of Liberty

It was dedicated to the United States in 1886 by the French

The statue of Liberty is the symbol of America’s freedom

The statue was closed in 2001 following the 9/11 attacks, the pedestal re opened in 2004 and in 2009 the crown was re opened but only a few visits everyday

In 2013 on July 4th the statue was opened again after it was closed due to maintenance

liberty nw york city

statue of liberty

After we walked back down to the bottom we took the typical tourist photos outside the statue and then got back on the ferry to see Ellis Island. Although we had lovely weather it was also a disadvantage  because there was so many people everywhere! after waiting in line for almost 40 minutes we finally got back onto the ferry. The ferry stopped at Ellis Island however because we had to get home my brother and I decided to not get off at Ellis Island and would do it another time.The line leaving Ellis Island was very long and it was already almost 4 pm.  Apart from the thousands of people everywhere and the lines being very long it was another great day in NYC! Next time I see the statue of liberty I will be going up to the top and wont be going in the summer! If you ever go to NYC make sure you go onto Liberty Island as you will get beautiful views of the city ! We finally got home at 6:30 pm and it was my last night in Madison, New Jersey!

brotherrr

About sammbamm7
Hiii I'm Sam :) University student at CSU currently on exchange at Mansfield University in Pennsylvania for a semester! Am Australian & British. Grew up in Australia, England, California and in Singapore. I love love travelling. Hope you enjoy my blog and my adventures in the USA :)