Goodbye New Jersey… Hello Mansfield,Pennsylvania!

madisonSunday August 17th

Today I said goodbye to my parents home in Jersey as it was time to leave for the semester exchange!  I said my goodbye’s to my fat cat and my puppy and to my brother before we left at 8:30 am!

puppy catt

The drive from Madison, New Jersey to Mansfield, Pennsylvania was only a three hour drive however we had a stop over in Lancaster which is home to the Amish People! I was a little nervous but I was excited mostly about starting a new chapter in my life!

Lancaster county in Pennsylvania is rather beautiful and theres a lot to do but unfortunately not much is opened on sundays! However I did see a horse and carriage and some Amish people which was pretty awesome!

A few facts about Amish people:

There are 290,100 Amish people

The Amish movement comes from Jakob Annman which started around the 16th century.

Amish people are known for their plain dress, horse and carriages and that they don’t wish to participate in modern technology

Their religious beliefs come from Baptism

The Amish share a Swiss-German ancestry

Lancaster, Pennsylvania is Americas oldest and largest group of Amish people

My parents and I had a lovely lunch in a town not far from Lancaster, we bought some souvenir’s and then it was time to head off to Mansfield, Pennsylvania!! I certainly will be coming back to Lancaster next time not on a Sunday!

A few facts about Amish people:

There are 290,100 Amish people

The Amish share a Swiss-German ancestry

amishh

I arrived in Mansfield around 4 pm where I met my exchange leader, I got settled into my room in which I share with another Aussie girl Ashlee! 🙂

mansfield