Weekends in Canada

Hi everybody,
I have been very slack with keeping this blog updated, but I have been very busy and having a great time in Regina.
There is so much to talk about, but for this post I will fill you in on my weekends, they have been the most exciting so far. Today kicks off my fifth weekend here, I am lucky enough to have a timetable that gives me Fridays off so every weekend is a long weekend for me!

I will try my hardest to keep this post as short as possible, and fill it with photos, as they are a lot more interesting

Weekend 1 – September 6 & 7

The start of the semester kicked off with the first home game for the Rams, the university’s Canadian football team. In Regina Canadian Football is like a religion, and everybody follows the football more than ice hockey.

I don’t really follow much sport, but it was so much fun to be in that atmosphere, and experience the Canadian sport with a giant bucket of popcorn and churros.

On Sunday we went for a walk to Wascana Lake, which was beautiful on such a sunny afternoon. A big group of us then went to the park for a barbecue for dinner, as people predicted it would be the last warm sunny day in Regina.

IMG_2445 IMG_2459 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Weekend 2 – September 13 & 14

This weekend we had a tour of Regina, run by volunteers from the international friends of Regina. We got to see the most famous places in the city; we were shown good places to shop; and we got a better idea of where everything in the city is.

Maria and I at the Saskatchewan Legislative Building

Weekend 3 – September 20 & 21

The view in all directions in Saskatchewan

On Saturday, the university offered a free tour to Saskatoon, to the Wanuskewin Heritage Park. This is a site that is of great historical importance to the First Nation People of the area. It was about 3 hours away from Regina, and I was excited for the bus trip to see some of the scenery. I must admit, the Saskatchewan scenery is not something to get too excited about, as there are prairies in every direction and the landscape is totally flat.

The park was interesting, we got to bake bannock (a bread) over a campfire and in the afternoon we did a walk around the park with a guide who told us about the traditional medical uses of the plants in the area

Weekend 4 – September 27 & 28 – Calgary and Banff

Last weekend was the most exciting weekend I have had so far. I went to Calgary and Banff National Park with three other exchange students, from Germany and France. On Friday night we flew to Calgary, Alberta is too far to travel by bus for one weekend. This gave us two full days for our mini vacation.

We took Saturday to explore Calgary, walking around the city in the morning, shopping in the afternoon and looking at the city lights in the evening.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIMG_1281

On Sunday we had a day tour through part of Banff National Park. We left at 7am and on the way to Calgary most of the scenery was blocked by fog and our guide warned us that the weather might have prevented us from seeing everything. We skipped some of the stops in the hope the fog would clear by the afternoon and by the time we got to the Columbia Icefields it was a gorgeous day. We chose to do the glacier ice walk tour, where we got to walk on the Athabasca Glacier, which was my first experience with real ice and snow. On the way back we were able to stop at all of the lakes we missed on the way, and the views were indescribably gorgeous. Photos do not even begin to compare to the view, and I would highly recommend the Rockies to anybody who might find themselves in this part of the world. My favourite part about the lakes is that each is such a beautiful but different shade of blue or green!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This weekend is a bit quieter, with nothing much planned yet; last night I watched the Saskatchewan Roughriders play Canadian Football on TV with the girls from my quad. I have just looked out my window and it is snowing- this is the first time I have really seen snow, so I am quite excited now!

Bri