One Amazing Month in Finland

Hi Everyone!

After a few awesome days in London, I travelled with my good Finnish friends (Evie and Jasmin) to Helsinki. The three of us stayed in Helsinki for two nights before making our way up to jyväskylä (My friend Evie’s Uni town). In Helsinki we looked at the Christmas markets and went to a Zoo. Many of the animals were hiding because of the cold weather. Therefore, I was unable to see any bears 😦

DSC06176 DSC06206 DSC06196 DSC06193   

Jyväskylä

Jyväskylä is a nice little city. Evie, Jasmin and I stayed at Evie’s home for a few days. We did a Finnish tradition of making a gingerbread house. It was a lot of fun to make. However, our time together had to end as Jasmin travelled back to Helsinki to be with her family for Christmas, while Evie and I travelled further north to stay with her family in Oulu.

Oulu

Oulu was approximately around the middle of Finland. I spent about three weeks there with Evie and her family. They were all really kind and helped me to have a proper Finnish cultural experience. I was lucky to try many Finnish Christmas traditions and foods, such as eating rice porridge on Christmas morning. The Finnish celebrate Christmas on the 24th of December.

DSC06242 DSC06252

On the first weekend after Christmas, Evie and some of her family and I travelled to Iso Syöte. Iso Syöte is a ski resort about two hours away from Oulu. The temperatue was the coldest I have ever experienced! It was -25 degrees when we were skiing!! The skiing was a lot of fun! I just had to remember to cover my nose to prevent it from falling off from the cold haha

DSC06259 DCIM100GOPRO DSC06277 DSC06273 DSC06266

Another new experience in Oulu was doing ice-fishing, where we walked out over a river! Yes we were standing in the middle of a river that was connected to the sea!

Middle of a frozen lake

Middle of a frozen river

Joe 😀

About An Aussie Abroad
Hi everyone, my name is Joe and I study a bachelor of Social Science (Criminal Justice) at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst. I am currently in my Third and final year. I come from the town of Orange, which is located about an hour from Bathurst. I am currently studying on exchange in Canada at the University of the Frazer Valley in Canada. The University is located in Abbotsford, which is about a 40 minute drive from Vancouver.