Greek Week

Theta Phi's softball players after our defeat!

Theta Phi’s softball players after our defeat! Photo from UVa-Wise Greek Life

This week at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise was Greek Week.  This is a week where all the Fraternities and Sororities dress up, participate in activities and earn points to compete against each other.  It’s also my last week as a Theta Phi Alpha new member and after this week I will be a full sister!  Greek Week was a great way to end my process and bond with my sisters-to-be even more.

Sunday

Me, Kelsey and Ashleigh dressed up for Monday's Toga Day.

Me, Kelsey and Ashleigh dressed up for Monday’s Toga Day.

On Sunday we all competed in some sports.  First, we played Wallyball against Alpha Sigma Tau, which is indoor volleyball where you are allowed to use the wall.  I had no idea what this sport was, so I was put on the bench for that one!  We then played softball against Phi Sigma Sigma where I got the important position of catcher (the equivalent of the wicketkeeper in cricket).  I (thankfully) managed to hit the ball but got caught out both times! The boys ‘supporting’ us kept reminding me that it wasn’t cricket!  We unfortunately lost, but we had fun and I enjoyed playing a sport with my sisters-to-be.

All the Greeks before the Paint Fight on Monday.

Monday

The overall theme of Greek Week was ‘Ancient Greeks’, so Monday’s dress-up theme was Toga’s.  We gained points if half our organization dressed in the theme.  During the day, we started a three day long competition called Penny Wars.  This was when each organization collects pennies (1cent coins) for charity.  We supported the Wise, Virginia Food Bank.  However, if any other coin or note was put in your organization’s jar, then that was a minus – for example, a $1 note minuses 100 pennies. On Monday afternoon we had a paint fight, where each organization got a different colour of water balloons and we threw them at everyone else.  The idea was that the organization with the most paint on everyone won.  We were equal winners with Sigma Alpha Omega, another sorority.

Me at lunch, all dressed up for American Pride day on Tuesday.

Tuesday

On Tuesday our dress-up theme was American Pride or Military Pride.  We could wear blue/white/red or military colors/uniforms.  On Tuesday night we went to watch a movie, The Wedding Ringer, before having a ‘Shack-a-thon’ all night.  Each organization was required to build a shack and stay in it all night.  There was points for tallest shack, most durable shack, best interior design etc.  I helped built our shack from 11.30 to 12.30 and then I had my ‘shift’ from 12.30 to 1.30.  Building our shack was a very bonding experience, having to work together to build something, with lots of different opinions about what to do.  It was fun checking out the competition as well – there were a lot of movies and video-games played that night.

Wednesday

image

Me and some of my sisters-to-be at the entrance to UVa-Wise on Wednesday’s 80’s Day!

On Wednesday, our dress-up theme was 80’s.  Let me tell you, that studying in the library in an 80’s exercise get-up, you tend to get a lot of weird looks!  This was the last day of the Penny Wars and everyone got very competitive.  On that day alone, we raised over $700 and all together the Greek’s raised over $1000 for the Food Bank.  That night we all participated in Blacklight Putt Putt Golf, which I was particularly awful at!

Thursday

Thursday was probably my favourite day of Greek Week.  Thursday was ‘Chapter Pride Day’, when we all wear our letters, or in Theta Phi Alpha’s case, we got some pretty awesome matching shirts!

Megan and Ashleigh on our raft, paddling for dear life in the bacteria filled lake, at the Greek Games on Thrusday.

On Thursday night we had the Greek Games.  We competed in events to earn points.  I was part of the obstacle course, where I had to run with a spoon in my mouth that held a ping-pong ball.  There was also a tug-a-war and a three legged race.  Theta Phi won the egg throwing contest which was very exciting and earned us 100 points.  The highlight was the raft race, across the bacteria filled lake/pond on campus here.  While our raft successfully did not sink (which is always a good thing!) we were not the fastest across (as in we came last!).  Due to some complications, the face was done twice and the poor girls that were rowing were exhausted and pretty much grossed out.

Friday

Today, Friday, we all wore our Greek Week shirts and had a Cookout (a barbie without a BBQ…) and found out which organisation won.  Theta Phi came 3rd which we were all very happy about.  Congrats to Alpha Sigma Tau and Kappa Sigma who came second and first respectively.

Me with my Big, Madison and twin, Taylor, on Friday at the Greek Week Cookout.