Goodbye to UVa-Wise

Me, Ashleigh and Sassy ready for White Rose!

Last week was our last week of classes.  Before the week began, Theta Phi had our formal, White Rose, last Saturday.  We all dressed up and went to Norton to have a great time.  I won the superlative “Sister most likely to get kicked out of a bar in every country”… thanks girls! It was a really fun night and I loved dancing the night away with all my sisters.

On Sunday we had our alumnae brunch and that night I became an alumnae of Theta Phi Alpha.  I’m so sad that I didn’t get to spend more time as an active sister of such a great group, but it’s nice to be a part of something that has no real end.

Me, Jaime (current editor) and Darrian (new editor) at the Highland Cavalier get-together!

On Friday I went out with the Highland Cavalier staff and we had our End of Year dinner.  We went to the Inn at Wise and had a wonderful dinner and a few drinks.  It was great to spend some time with some of the lovely people I have met, and congratulate quite a few of them on their graduation.

Watching baseball.

Watching baseball.

On the weekend I watched baseball, where for one innings (means the same as in cricket FYI) our team actually did great – they were getting home runs all over the place!  But a win just wasn’t meant to be.  I had fun though, even if I spent the whole time telling Logan the differences between baseball and cricket!  After the baseball we went to Sonic, which is a futuristic fast-food place.  You drive into a park, where you call a staff member who takes your order over a radio and then they bring the food out to you when it’s ready.

This is how you order at Sonic

This is how you order at Sonic

However, because of technical difficulties and it being rush-hour, it ended up taking us 40 minutes to get our food – and then I wasn’t very impressed! The weirdest part was that you couldn’t go inside Sonic at all – there is no option to eat in, except to eat in your car or sit at the chairs and tables they have outside.

This past week we had our finals.  They were a lot different to how we take our final exams at home – they were just in our normal classrooms and didn’t take very long to complete.  There were no 5×5 page essays and writers cramp.  My finals, including one speech, were more like short exams, with no essays at all!

The suction thing at the bank

The suction thing at the bank

On Wednesday I spend the day with my sorority family in Kingsport and Johnson City.  We did some shopping and went out for lunch.  A highlight for me was that I got a photo of the drive through bank system they have here!  It’s very different – see picture to left.  It’s basically drive-through banking, where you put your card/cheque (yes, they still use cheques here!) in a tube and it gets sucked inside to a teller.

On Friday Sidal and I walked around campus to take some photos of where we have been studying.  This was fun, especially as we used Sidal’s Selfie-Stick… until it broke!  Below are photos of the campus.

The bookshop

The bookshop

Smiddy, where I had most of my classes

Smiddy, where I had most of my classes

The student centre

The student centre

Sidal and her Selfie-Stick in the Caf

Sidal and her Selfie-Stick in the Caf

The graduation

The graduation

Today, Saturday, was graduation.  I went to see my Big and GBig, as well as other friends, graduate!  A few things, like the black mortar’s and gowns were the same as home but there were a lot of differences too.  The 302 students graduating don’t wear the colours of their degree but cords and sash’s that relate to honor societies, organisations (such as Theta Phi Alpha) and if they were receiving an award with distinction (high GPA).  Four ROTC students were also awarded 2nd Lieutenant of the USA Army, which was a big ceremony in itself.  You also don’t have to pay to attend the ceremony, nor are there a limited number of seats – we just turned up!

Me, Madison, Ashlyn and Taylor celebrating after graduation

I just want to thank everyone at UVa-Wise who made my time here so enjoyable and gave me some great American College experiences.  Especially to all my sorority sisters who drove me around, picked me up from airports, took me home with them for holidays, showered me with gifts and made sure I could always get a lift home from a party!  Also, to my roommates who looked after me and introduced me to all of their friends!  And thank you to all of the UVa-Wise students and professors who made me feel so welcome!

Me and Kelsey - last day of being roommates!

Me and Kelsey – last day of being roommates!