An Introduction

Hi! I’m Alanna Bowman, a 3rd year Advertising and Marketing student studying at Bathurst.

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 2.18.22 pm <– That’s me showing my incredible ability to ruthlessly crop all my friends out of a photo.

I’m going to the University of Limerick for one semester, but before, I’m doing my own little Euro trip. I can’t believe that I’m leaving on Tuesday. I first considered the idea of going on exchange at the beginning of 2014 and have been wanting to travel around Europe since I finished high school in 2012 and it’s FINALLY happening. Being a 20 year old woman, the major concern on my mind at the moment is what do I pack? Clothes for Summer? Winter? Rain? Possible snow? In reality I need all these things… oh the horror. In addition to this, I have a 20kg limit on my Topdeck tour and also a limit on the flight from London to Ireland. Yes I considered shipping stuff to Ireland both from Australia and once I get to London. Yes I also considered storing a bag in London and adding excess baggage to my Ireland flight, but it was all quite expensive. And to be honest? I just couldn’t be bothered, it was so much easier to just deal with it. So I’ll have to get back to you about how that goes!

Apart from that, preparing to leave has been pretty smooth (largely due to me being an organisational freak). The only real issue was that I started to talk about my trip all the time and had to continuously find new people who cared! I have found communicating with Limerick University to be incredible so far. They have hundreds of international students every year and are ranked in the top 10 in Europe with regards to international students. This means that whenever I had a question, the answer had already been given to me on their website. Finding accommodation was easy, paying for it was simple, airport transfer was provided and so many other small things that make planning my time in Limerick so stress free. But to be honest, I’ve spent so much of my time thinking about the first 21 days of my trip, I haven’t even thought about when I actually get to Ireland. All I know is that I’m excited.

So that’s me! I’ll check back in when have more than just my packing habits to report.