Getting involved in campus life… Yay or nay??

So I thought I’d dedicate this post to talking about campus life and my thoughts on getting involved in the different opportunities available to you. I’ve always been very proactive and enjoyed being involved in my community (work, university etc.) but I never could have imagined how much it would enhance my study abroad experience!

Incase it’s not clear enough, my recommendation regarding getting involved in campus life is a big YAY!!! (I hope that makes sense…)

Since arriving on campus I have been involved in various opportunities including:

• Hall Government – organising events to promote a sense of community in the apartments I live in
  • Model UN class – a class that revolves around preparing for and attending a Model United Nations Conference in Seattle, Washington
  • ESB Research Lab – provides the opportunity to conduct research (within the business school) in a personal area of interest
  • French club – to learn about French culture, watch French movies, play games & most importantly – eat French foods!

These experiences have really helped me to get the most out of my time here, learn about American (and other cultures) and also learn more about myself. I really think that getting involved in student life at your host university is one of the best ways to make new friends and have a rewarding and valuable experience whilst studying abroad!

My advice is to join clubs and sign up for opportunities as early as you possibly can. Also, make sure you are proactive in finding opportunities, don’t just wait for opportunities to come to you – look at notice boards, read emails and ask around!!

12341475_10153908056304258_2836215720128962906_n

Model UN team from University of the Pacific in Seattle

2 Responses to Getting involved in campus life… Yay or nay??

1. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto
    a coworker who was conducting a little research on this.

And he actually bought me lunch simply because I
    found it for him… lol. So let me reword this….
    Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for
    spending time to talk about this topic here on your internet site.

• angelarkin says:

I’m so glad to hear you managed to get lunch from finding my post – thank you so much for the feedback! Feel free to get in contact with me if your co-worker would like to know anything else regarding my experience – my email is angela.larkin23@gmail.com 🙂