A bit of Jetlag and Shock

Last weekend I was in Lisbon and now I’m on a plane back to Madrid from Sydney.

Lisbon was one of our very first trips booked on exchange, for many of us it was the forgotten trip, but not necessarily purposely forgotten but rather put aside as it was our last trip with all of. It’s hard to come to terms that exchange is almost over and everywhere we have been able to go to and all the incredible things we have seen.

We headed off rather early and boarded our Easy Jet flight, which was all ready to depart until they couldn’t shut the front door, leaving us to disembark the aircraft and wait an extra hour or so to leave Madrid. Luckily with the hour time difference we didn’t miss out on too much in Lisbon. Two things you need to know about Lisbon is: Firstly it is the capital city of Portugal and the second thing you need to know is that it is built on hills. Another fun fact is this is my second time to Portugal this year and guess what? It was raining again!

What to expect? Crazy cab drivers that make you feel like you’re on a non-stop rollercoaster ride however cheap fares. (Unsure if it has something to do with the fact they make you feel motion sick every ride). Hills everywhere, so unless you want an endless leg day and huffing and puffing would highly recommend, getting a daily public transport ticket, a hop on/ hop off ticket or cab everywhere. Sea food everywhere, the greatest custard tarts (their famous dessert) Would definitely recommend searching for a chocolate flavoured one – they still make my mouth water just thinking about them. Lisbon is known for it’s cork and has some wonderful gifts for the family. In terms of the streets they have a certain beauty that makes you constantly question where actually in the world are you. You can see the poverty of the country yet you are surround by people from all around the world who actually have residence in Lisbon. The old buildings are similar to Spain although are covered by gorgeous different tiles. There are definitely areas that feel safer to others, but Lisbon is a big city with a lot to be done and seen, one could definitely easily spend a weekend there.

Unfortunately not long into our trip, in fact early Saturday morning I received a phone call from Australia. My Pop had passed away that day. Without any doubt I rang my insurance company and then booked flights home. My insurance company doesn’t pay for them up front but I should be able to receive the money back once my application is cleared. This is a good note for any traveler, I had only briefly looked into these terms of my insurance papers but make sure you are aware. As flights home are a huge unexpected cost, especially if you want to return home and then back to your exchange/holiday. With flights booked, support and love from my incredible American friends, we all returned back to Madrid Sunday afternoon. We quickly packed my bag and returned to the airport within the hour.

As you could imagine the 26 hours flying home is a long trip but especially when you’re not prepared to go home and to face the situation. With a lot of tears and tissues I managed to make it home. I wont go into much detail but I arrived Tuesday morning and then flew out again Sunday evening. I didn’t actually feel like I was home until Saturday so it made it harder than I thought to actually get back on the plane. Although sitting here now I know I made the right decision, even though it still feels so unreal, It was the right thing to go home and say goodbye but also not allow too much time at home.

I have decided to return to Madrid as I only travel the world today because of my Pop and I know I need to finish what I have started. Losing someone you love will never be easy regardless where in the world you are, but life keeps happening whether you want it to or not.

Jess xx

About jsarge12
21 year old exchange student in Madrid for a Semester!