Getting the Best of Winter!

I’ve been in Kamloops for over a month now, so I thought it was about time for a new update! For the most part I’ve been going to classes, studying, and doing small things with friends like going out for dinner. All-you-can-eat sushi is big here, so I’ve definitely consumed my fair share of sushi (alongside deep fried pickles, which are surprisingly addictive).

16593546_1290692074322780_793713716_o

getting my fill of never-ending sushi

It’s still cold! Minus 21°C today and always snowing, which gives me a great opportunity to do all the snow sports I’ve been wanting to try. The university organises a lot of activities for all the international students, such as skiing, ice-skating and snowshoeing. These are either free or incredibly cheap, which makes trying new things very easy.

16558973_1290692120989442_1388515387_n

Ice-skating

Little Weekend Endeavours

I went out ice-skating this weekend with a bunch of friends, and had a fantastic time. We used one of the indoor arenas for this skating trip, but hopefully  we’ll soon be skating on the frozen lakes.

img_0079

The view of Thompson Rivers and Kamloops after a very snowy hike

The hikes are also awesome in Kamloops, as they have so many mountains that you can climb up for a stunning
view of the city. I’ve been going on hikes on Sundays with my host family, and it’s a great way to work off all
that sushi I’ve been eating…

Sun Peaks Ski Trip

I finally made it to Sun Peaks Ski Resort to go skiing, which I was over the moon about as I could finally justify dragging my skis all the way to Canada. The resort was absolutely huge and the snow was awesome, so I had a blast. The only downside was the mountains here are so much taller/steeper than the ones we have in Australia, so what we would call a black diamond, Canada calls a blue run. Not so good for my ego, but a great workout for my calves!

img_0095

Finally Skiing!

Apart from that I’ve just being enjoying the town, and putting together plans for spring break and my end of semester holidays. I can’t wait to write all about it!

Best wishes,

Sarah xx

About sarahhhodonnell
Blogging my way through my student exchange in Canada

2 Responses to Getting the Best of Winter!

1. margodonnell says:

Fantastic Sarah. Sounds like you’re having a great time

2. Natalia says:

Lovely blog! So nice to hear tell of your Canadian experiences 🙂