The Rough (as guts) Guide to Beppu by night

Twas the night after Karaoke and all through AP4 House, not a student was stirring… probably because they all went to bed at 6am and are still in bed either sleeping or severely regretting their lifestyle choices this morning. I am the latter and it is with this thought, as I sit in my pyjamas trying to avoid making eye contact with the To Do list on my wall, I thought I would tell you a little about the night life here. Beppu is a smaller town but that does not mean there isn’t lots of fun to be had. Nights out are the way you make friends fast and I totally encourage any newbies here to try and get out on as many of the organised events that happen during the first few weeks as possible. Six weeks in, our week nights are usually spent eating together at the house and group homework sessions so by the time the weekend comes around, we are ready to get out and have some fun!

Drinking is not allowed in the common areas at the house so we usually meet in one of the rooms for a ‘pre-game’ gathering, before heading out into town after 10PM. Being on the central fourth floor (and being as old as I am, the only person with actual wine glasses), my room is usually volunteered as tribute. It’s always a good start to the night as you get to see with people from other floors who you may not see on weekdays; sharing music from our countries, playing card games and catch up on our school week.

Karaoke is one of our favourite ways to spend a night out here in Beppu. Wei Wei’s is our usual venue although there are many places to choose from. You can rent a room for three hours at 10,000 Yen and so the more people that go, the cheaper it is per person. It is also BYO food and drink which helps support the ol’ student bank account. We usually chuck out a message on the House Facebook page a few days before and are never in short supply of people wanting to attend. For many of us, public singing is not really our thing but, since there is always around 20 – 40 of us in attendance and group singing is encouraged (and usually unavoidable), you have the luxury of never really having to hear your own voice. They take Karaoke super seriously in Japan and the song selection is endless. Part of the fun of karaoke with an international crew is that you get to learn the words to songs you know in other languages. There is a rather amusing video circulating somewhere of us enthusiastically attempting 99 Red Balloons in German and fully butchering La Vie en Rose in French. Apparently I gave a rather exuberant rendition of Men at Work ‘Land Down Under’ last week although my memory of the performance is admittedly a little hazy.

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 7.48.16 PM

Getting set up for Karaoke 

Across the road from Wei Wei’s is a little bar that we often frequent on the weekend called Pirates. Pirates follows the Japanese drinking tradition of ‘Nomihoudai’ in which you pay 1000 Yen for three hours of ‘all you can drink’. None of the drinks are particularly strong but it is always a great night of cards, laughs and banter, and regularly a precursor for a night of dancing!

Drink up me hearties Yo Ho!

If you ever grew up in a small town, you will recognise BSB; the Beppu Social Bar. Every town has a place like it. It’s that ‘club’ that you swear you will never go but somehow you always end up there dancing to really bad music at 3am. It isn’t the worst place in the world and it does serve a purpose by providing somewhere to dance in the wee hours, but it does allow smoking which I absolute hate in bars. Having grew up in a time when smoking was prolific in drinking establishments, I was suddenly reminded why it was so great when the laws were passed to ban it. If you stick close to the DJ booth, you are usually okay and it is a good venue to get together with your gang and dance the night away!

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 7.47.31 PM

Some of the gang take a break from dancing 

So that is the main contenders for places you will probably frequent the most if you find yourself in Beppu. Definite pros to the place are that it is very safe. We always make sure that we travel together at night, no one is ever left behind by themselves and everyone always has an escort home, but you definitely don’t have the same harassment that you would back in Western bars which is refreshing.

In addition, the walk home from town takes us past 7/11 so therefore a stop for ice cream is always in order. I will talk more about 7/11 and our house’s icecream addiction in an upcoming post relating to the wierd and wonderful shopping in Japan (trust me, its awesomeness needs its own segment).

Finally, as we are right by the beach, there is always an opportunity to watch the sun come up before bed. It’s total madness and you have to ensure there is a non-school day the next day, but its worth it just once if you can managed to stay awake. The sunrise from Mahatogama Park next to AP4 Building is truly stunning (especially with an icecream).

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 10.51.13 PM

Early AM shot in the land of the rising sun

So I should probably leave you here, get dressed and start adulting; that homework isn’t going to do itself after all (damn it). For the purposes of balance, I’ll give you an introduction to APU and my start to school life here next. I start week four of classes tomorrow, can’t believe it has already been that long! Have an excellent end to your weekends and wish me luck with my productivity, I certainly will need it.

Xo